Need to Know
- The proprietary CMS that Mohawk was using no longer met its requirements.
- After a comprehensive review of CMS in the marketplace, Mohawk decided that Drupal best met its needs.
- Northern segmented the Mohawk project into four development sprints focused on delivering Drupal's core functionality.
Mohawk College of Applied Arts and Technology, located in Hamilton, Canada, offers future-ready certificates, diplomas, degrees and apprenticeships.
Mohawk College sought a Drupal-certified development firm to perform a website audit and recommendations on how to deliver improved site architecture and design, workflow and content management. The project would entail working with the Mohawk team to assist with migration from the current site to the new site and the ability to provide training, support and maintenance for implementation.
The proprietary CMS that Mohawk was using no longer met its requirements. After a comprehensive review of Content Management Systems in the marketplace, Mohawk decided that Drupal best met its current and future needs.
Drupal appealed to Mohawk because it’s fully responsive by default (an important consideration given the younger demographic of its primary user group). It offers impressive scalability and flexibility to meet future content development needs. The CMS interface is intuitive and accessible for people with varying technical expertise (critical as not all content creators have deep CMS knowledge).
Northern segmented the Mohawk project into a series of four development sprints focused on delivering a set of core functionality, an approach to enhance the default Drupal content view with popular contributed modules.
- CKEditor Widgets - creating unique widgets that inject pre-crafted responsive HTML into the body field to allow for the page content type customization.
- Input Formats - users with different skill sets receive roles that customize the editor experience to their ability. For example, a WYSIWYG editor and manipulating image system are useless to a user with low vision.
- Workbench Suite - this popular contributed module set allows for menu-based or taxonomy-based access schemes with simple moderation and approval workflows.
- Administrative Views - custom content views created with external filters to allow content to be easily found and maintained by various user roles.
Mohawk College’s new website has the following features and functionality:
- Cleaner, more modern design
- Responsive HTML/CSS development
- Improved global search
- Accessibility compliance
- News feed
- Staff profiles
- Campus overviews
- Enhanced academic dates and events pages with filtered search
- The program pages are vastly improved; they’re almost microsites, with multiple tabs to help prospective students drill down to the information they need and provide rich media like image galleries and video.